Monday, June 18, 2012

Day Two in Cotacachi - getting to know the flora

Glenn came down here to look at some hosterias in Cotacachi and Ecuador, so I went along for the ride! These photos are from various places we visited on Sunday. 

A bit about Cotacachi - it's 8600 feet above sea level and it sits in a valley. So there are mountains (volcanoes actually) that surround the town. 

Everything grows down here, probably due to the rich volcanic soil. So I tried to capture some of the beauty of the land surrounding Cotacachi, in both big and small ways.

Poinsettias grow as tall bushes, everything here is alive with color!

Enjoy!

Dee

PS - if you are wondering why there's a picture of guinea pigs in this post, it's because they are considered a delicacy here in Ecuador! And no, I didn't eat one! So don't call PETA on me!

One of the churches in Cotacachi


one of the mountains surrounding Cotacachi

a south american cousin to the pine tree I'm guessing

Avocado tree

Another view of the mountain
Lunch! (just kidding)

have no idea what this is but it's beautiful!

hibiscus

another unusual tree in Ecuador
 

No comments:

Post a Comment